The Union of North American Vietnamese Student Associations (UNAVSA), a 501(c)(3) non-profit, non-partisan, community-based organization, was founded in 2004 on the principal of empowering the next generation of Vietnamese youth with self-awareness, passion for change and propensity for leadership. UNAVSA is a family of Vietnamese youth organizations working together to advance the interests of Vietnamese youth in order to build a stronger Vietnamese community at home and abroad.
UNAVSA’s success is grounded in the fact that regions and organizations making up UNAVSA (its ‘partners’) remain independent and autonomous, but they pool their resources and expertise in order to gain greater collective strength and influence than they could have acting individually. UNAVSA strives to provide resources and opportunities fostering experiential learning, cultural self-reflection, and relationship-building for community development in and amongst our constituent regions.
UNAVSA’s organizational goals include:
- Bringing together young professionals and students to build unity and solidarity among North American Vietnamese youths as well as in the international Vietnamese community
- Encouraging and recognizing the growth of leadership and service
- Creating and maintaining a framework for established VSAs and start-ups to share common resources
- Cross-promote regional events, and learn from one another
- Advocating Vietnamese and North American Vietnamese social justice issues
- Promoting Vietnamese and North American Vietnamese cultural consciousness
- Encouraging interaction, participation, and activism in Vietnamese-American and Canadian communities
More information can be found on their website at http://www.unavsa.org